logo

Home history Contact us Find us Fixtures

 

History

The first mention of this Bowling Club was in 1904. The club started to function in this year on the outfiled of the cricket field at fortune Road, which is at the bottom of Scots Hill, Rickmansworth

The first recorded meeting was in January 1924. When the club was first formed only men played, but in 1932 a lady by the name of Mrs Wise put her name down for competitions. but there was a feeling of disapproval amongst the members, and her name was withdrawn. In 1932 there was a membership of 61 men.

In 1934 the Rickmansworth U.D.C was approached to see if the council would consider providing a new new bowling green and pavilion in the meadow at the rear of the Council Offices in Rickmansworth. In 1935 the council agreed to this proposal and in April of this year construction began. The question of lady members was discussed but no decision taken.

RICKMANSWORTH LADIES BOWLS CLUB was formed in 1938 with 18 members ( limited to 30 ). Mrs Bevan was president, Mrs Potter Captain Mrs Blair Treasurer and Mrs Thompson secretary.

HISTORY OF THE CLUB BADGE

From records it appears that in 1959 the R.B.C adopted a new club tie and badge which incorporated the Town's Coat of Arms. These were designed by Bruce Omeroid. The three round "plates" derived from the Arms of William Penn, the Quaker founder of Pennsylvania whose house now forms part of the Council Offices. The two "stars" from come from the arms of St Thomas White Lord Mayor of London in 1553, and a prime mover in the foundation of Merchant Taylors school who was born at West Hyde.

The "danscetty" division  (zig-zag pointed selection ) of the shield alludes to the arms of the Fotherleys, the 17th-century predecessors of the Council as Lords of the Manor of Rickmansworth. The "flowers gentil" on gold referred to Dr John Caius the third founder of Gonville and Caius College Cambridge who endowed the college with the Manor of Croxley Green

In 1986 the council constructing a new Bowls Pavillion which stands today.

Although it was suggested at an extraordinary General Meeting of the R.B.C in 1989 that the club be opened to lady members, after lengthy discussion the ladies decided they were not prepared to amalgamate.

In November 1996 the RICKMANSWORTH LADIES BOWLS CLUB amalgamated with the men. Shortly afterwards the " Ancient Order of Foresters" also merged making one club - THE RICKMANSWORTH BOWLS CLUB. The Royal British Legion also bowl at Rickmansworth as a separate club.